Glasses Free 3D Tablet


It's not easy to show people my 3D photos with my 21 inch 3D monitor. I have to carry the monitor and computer to an event and setup everything and then provide glasses. To make it simpler, I recently bought a glasses-free Inferno 3D tablet (model 2890). This Android 4.1 tablet has an 8 inch diagonal display (1280x800 pixels) and is similar to Gadmei E8-3D tablets.

Overall I'm pleased with the tablet displaying 3D, it is bright and does a decent job. However looking at the display ghosting will appear in 3D images unless the tablet is held just right, at the sweet spot for viewing. This hand held adjustment is very small and prevents others from viewing 3D photos at the same time -its a one person at a time experience. That is the main drawback to this tablet for 3D viewing. I have similar issues with my large 3D monitor, but the viewing angle is much less critical and the large screen makes up for having to use glasses.

To improve the sharpness and quality of displayed 3D images I had to change the default settings in the tablet. I got a sharper image from the display by turning off Settings->Display->Dynamic Backlight. I also set the brightness slider in Settings->Display->Brightness to about two thirds max.

Amazon reviewers described a better experience with 3D photos after installing the 3DSteroid Android app. The author, Masuji SUTO (Muttyan), also wrote the Stereo Photo Maker for Windows which I use to post-process my photos into 3D images. Many thanks to Masuji SUTO for his excellent and generous work to the stereoscopic community.

I bought the 3DSteroid pro version and found it worked very well with different 3D formats, such as MPO and side_by_side JPG 3D photo files. Plus the pro edition lets you create and adjust 3D photos. Some documentation is at http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/android/help/3dsteroid.htm

I also installed the Stereoscope app by Stereoscopie.fr to more easily set up and use slide shows. I recommend this app too.